So it's been one year since I "officially" started on the adoption journey. I've been reflecting on the past year and in honor of this anniversary, I've decided to include an "International Adoption in Waiting Top Ten." Drum roll please....
10. Time frames don't mean jack.
9. The government will find any way to charge you and charge you out the wah-zoo. Since when do fingerprints "expire?" Aren't we in the 21st century of Technology Candyland?
8. Speaking of government, they can and will change the rules of the game at any given time. At your expense.
7. There are about 50% of people out there
6. What happened to the wise saying, "It's better to keep quiet and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt?" Oops, refer to #7.
5. The other 50% of people out there are super supportive, encouraging and carry me in ways they don't even know. Seriously, I can't thank everyone enough!
4. Despite how dire my circumstances may seem to me, they don't diminish God's power at all. For whatever reason, he is allowing things to happen so that his greater good will come to fruition. Just can't wait to see the greater good!
3. It can sometimes feel like a boxing match. Although I've only ever gone 3 rounds, (it's waaayyy harder than it seems!) sometimes I feel like I come out with both arms swinging and other rounds, it's all about staying away from the body shots. or sucker punches. I definitely feel like I've been hit with a few uppercuts:(
2. The more I take my hands off the wheel and surrender to God, the more peace he gives me. I just need to keep my hands off the wheel! I'm learning that I'm a terrible back seat driver.
1. God has been faithful to me every step of the way with his unfailing love. He has filled me with peace when I felt helpless, lifted me up when I felt down and encouraged me when I felt like I couldn't keep going. He has performed some serious miracles along the way which makes me think he's in the process of performing some more:)
I went back through my journal to the first entry when I was praying for some confirmation on whether or not I should move forward with the adoption. These are the 2 verses he gave me:
"But if we look forward to something we don't yet have, we must wait patiently and confidently." -Romans 8:25
"If God is for us, who can ever be against us?" - Romans 8:31
Before this process, I had no idea really what it meant to wait patiently and confidently. But, I'm learning. I can honestly say that I have changed A LOT in the past year and I'm very thankful for the changes. I'm gonna keep on keepin' on 'til those little babies make it home.
Which leads me to the official update:
It seems it has been raining visas! I feel like at least every day or so, another family receives a visa! The rain dance is working! I believe the number of pipeline families who are still waiting for visas is in the high 20's.
I keep coming back to the verse about how God will make the crooked paths straight and the rough places plain (Isaiah 40:4). Funny how different these two journeys have been. I have the majority of the paperwork but not the majority of the money. I've been picking up every available extra shift I can at my second job. This has turned me into Sally Super Saver!! I will say that it's very encouraging and addicting to see the balance going up up and up in my savings account! I *think* that I will be able to have my dossier shipped to the Congo by the end of March/mid April. However, please see #10 from the list above;)